Mexican Street Corn is a big-time favorite at my house. I am always looking for ways to incorporate it in new ways and I think I have hit it on the head with this one. My recipe for Chicken Enchilada Casserole also features it, cause it’s that good!
I like to serve it on a Naan bread like a chicken salad sandwich, but it also eats really well with corn chips. The Naan is a great vehicle and I like it because it is a spin on using a tortilla, and the flavor of the flatbread melds so well with the flavors of the chicken and the grilled corn. Naan is sweet and soft and when it is warm it’s irresistible, so be sure to grab some to try it on, they sell the little ones you see in my photos at Costco and most grocers.
Preparing the chicken salad
Much like I shared in my Avocado Salsa post, I start with my onions in the bowl first with the acid being mixed in with them to dull the raw harshness of them. Allowing the onions to sort of pickle quickly in the lime juice takes the raw edge off and makes them more enjoyable to eat.
Once the onions turn pink, add the mix in’s. I start with jalapeno, green onions, cotija cheese, avocado, and the chicken. I also begin seasoning at this point. A generous shake of tajin or chili lime seasoning gives you that classic Mexican street corn flavor.
Give it a gentle mix and add in the mayo, cilantro, and grilled corn. Add a couple of pinches of salt and a few cracks of black pepper at this point too. Fold everything together making a point not to smash the avocado.
Once you have mixed this all together you have your chicken salad base and it is ready to eat. If you need more info on seasoning and cooking chicken breasts take a look at my Greek Chicken Salad post and cook that chicken to use here. Just throw a little chili lime seasoning in with the greek flavors and you have the perfect chicken for this recipe.
Like I said above, I LOVE this on naan bread, but it is great with corn chips or if you can find the guacamole chips at Sam’s Club or World Market they just enhance the flavors of this salad even more!
Mexican Street Corn Chicken Salad
- 4 ears Sweet Corn grilled and removed from the cob
- 1 T Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- 3 cooked Chicken Breasts diced
- 1/2 med Red Onion diced
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 1/2 C Cotija Cheese
- 1 Jalapeño seeds removed and diced
- 4-5 Green Onions minced
- 2 Avocados 1 diced + 1 for slicing and topping sandwiches
- 2 t Chili Lime Seasoning
- 2 T Cilantro finely chopped
- 1/2 C Mayonnaise
- 2-3 small Tomatoes sliced, for sandwiches
- Leaf Lettuce for sandwiches
- Naan Bread for sandwiches
- Heat a gas grill or interior grill pan over medium-high heat. Oil the corn and season it with salt and pepper. Massage the oil and seasoning into the corn and cook on the preheated grill until cooked through and slightly charred, 7-10 minutes. Let the corn cool enough to be handled and using a sharp serrated knife remove the kernels from the cob and reserve for later.
- I used leftover chicken for this, but if you need cooking instructions for it, click the link below for my greek chicken recipe and add a little chili lime seasoning to it.
- In a large bowl place the red onion and lime juice in it and stir to combine. When the onion pieces turn pink add the cotija, jalapeño, green onions, avocado, chicken, and chili lime seasoning. Gently fold to combine trying not to smash the avocado.
- Top the mixture with the cilantro, mayo, and corn kernels. Mix just until the mayo is combined.
- To assemble sandwiches, layer a lettuce leaf on a piece of naan bread, top with the chicken salad mixture, tomato, and more avocado if desired.
Grab my grilled chicken recipe HERE!
If you make this recipe, please let me know by leaving a review at the bottom of this page!
MY LATEST RECIPES!
MY FAVORITE KITCHEN TOOLS!
Here are a few links to some of my favorite kitchen tools! You get a car, YOu get a car, YOU ALL GET A CAR…in my best Oprah voice
These Rösle Silicone Tongs are a little pricey but they will last you the rest of your life and are the softest in your hand. This is important for someone like m that cooks so much. It reduces strain, I have 4 sets in my kitchen!
These are my FAVE Nordic Ware Sheet Pans, every kitchen should have at least 2 sets of these! I think I have at least 4 of each of these.
This is my favorite pressure cooker, the Fagor is the same concept as the “Instant Pot” but easier to use in my opinion, if you don’t have one you NEED one, it will be your best friend in the kitchen!
A sharp knife is the most important tool in the kitchen, these Japanese steel “Shun” knives are my favorite! And this is a great starter set to build on. Once you try them you will be in love so use this as a foundation you can build on for years to come.
This Scanpan 11″ skillet is just the right size for almost anything you will need to cook and my best friend and a real workhorse in my kitchen, it’s also a great deal at $99. Scanpan is the best in the world for healthy cooking. It is coated with a proprietary ceramic-titanium coating that is durable while allowing you to use fewer fats and oils when cooking. It is a coating only they use. I could talk all day about my love for these pans, message me if you want more info. Here are some other sizes that are available if you are looking to outfit your kitchen with some new goodies. 8″ & 10″ Skillet set or 8″ Skillet, I still need this one for my kitchen Also, I don’t really know how to cook small so the 12.5″ is my other fave!
This giant vat of olive oil is my favorite, I decant it into a smaller bottle for my counter. Or put this spigot on top of a wine bottle!
My favorite baking dish that is so easy to clean even burnt on cheese slides right off!
This Tovolo jar scraper has to be my single favorite kitchen tool, it is definitely the most used tool in my kitchen. If you are NOT a gadget person, this is the only necessity I say is a MUST beyond the wooden spoon.
A great wood spoon is essential, this Olive Wood one is my favorite, I have more than I can count. But can you really ever have too many?
A food scale can be a very important tool in your kitchen, this one is the one I use every day!
If you love Joanna Gaines as much as I do then the ‘Magnolia Table Cookbook’ is a must in your kitchen, get a copy HERE!